Monday 9 July 2018

"Jacob of Abbington Pickets" by H.C. Hewitt

H.C. Hewitt
   My daughter was visiting a friend who lives on a farm in Alberta.  In a town nearby there was a quilt shop that attracted my daughter.  H.C.Hewitt is the owner and she is also a writer.  She was selling her book, so my daughter bought it for me.
   I do enjoy reading a book when there is a connection with the author, no matter how slight that connection is.  Whenever I come across an author selling books, I want to support that author. But, of course, I realize that this is a beginning author and the writing may not be great. 


   The protagonist in this novel is a young man, Jacob, who grew up on a farm on the prairies in the late 1800's.
  The novel begins when he is 8, with 4 older siblings.  The father is very strict and everyone is afraid of him.  Something awful happens right at the beginning of the novel that gives Jacob nightmares.
  But Jacob grows up to be a handsome, hard-working young man who falls in love with a young girl who has been promised to another man.  She returns to England to marry him.  He falls in love again and she is killed in a fire.  Whoops!  Have I given away the whole plot?

  This novel is advertised as a novel about virtue and redemption.  And that it is.  The author had always wanted to write a historical romance, and this is it.  At the end, there is redemption for everyone, including Jacob who had fallen into a pit of depression.
   I have read many raving reviews of the novel and I think it fills a need for simple writing, Canadian prairies, and wholesome values.

No comments:

Post a Comment