Monday 2 July 2018

"Indian Horse" by Richard Wagamese


   On Friday I had the privilege of leading a discussion of "Indian Horse" at the public library.  
     This may be the best book that I have ever read.  The descriptions of nature, Aboriginal life, and hockey, are stunning.   The emotional journey is beyond description.
   The juxtaposition of residential schools and hockey was a brilliant ploy.  These two themes came together in the main character, Saul Indian Horse, so beautifully! The residential school broke his spirit but hockey lifted him out of the horrors of the school and let him fly.  He could have had a career in hockey, but he could not survive the racism of the fans and the cruelty of other players.  So he turned away from the bright lights and settled in an aboriginal town playing hockey on the rink with other like-minded young aboriginal men.

  Way back in 2002 when I started this blog, I made videos.  Here is one where I am describing my reaction to"Indian Horse".  It had been nominated for Canada Reads.
  You can watch that here:  http://bettysvideobookblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/indian-horse-indian-horse-is-my-pick.html

  I wrote this blog when the author Richard Wagamese died:
http://bettysvideobookblog.blogspot.com/2017/03/richard-wagamese.html

And here is my emotional attachment to Richard Wagamese: http://bettysvideobookblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/richard-wagamese.html

Richard Wagamese
alternate book cover
I hope these links work for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment