Friday 13 July 2018

Alan Lightman


   Alan Lightman is a fascinating man.  He is a physicist and an author.  I watched his TED talk about the similarities and differences in science and the arts.  He lives in both worlds.  He has a PHD in theoretical physics and has received five honorary degrees.  But he has also written many books - from novels to books on astronomy.
  I first read his novel "Diagnosis" in 2002 and I was captivated by it.  It seemed to reflect the changes that were happening in the new millenium. It is even more relevant today.


Diagnosis:  Overwhelmed by an environment of cell phones and complex technology, Bill Chalmers deteriorates emotionally and then physically.  He is found on the train in a fetal position, with few clothes, but clutching his cell phone.  He does not know his name or destination.
  The search for a 'diagnosis' is extensive, but futile.  His life is in a downward spiral.  His wife has escaped to an e-mail affair and alcohol.  His son is totally involved in the internet world.

  The whole aspect of 'diagnosis' intrigued me.  Was this novel a 'diagnosis' of our society?  Rush, rush, rush- technology galore!
   
   A second story line added to the intrigue.  Bill's son Alex, reads to Bill the story of the death of Socrates.  Remember Socrates?  "The unexamined life"?  Is that the clue to the 'diagnosis'?


Probably the most thought-provoking book that I have read. 
I read it in two days. It is not so much a story -as a mirror of life.  What has been lost in the search to succeed?

    I re-read the book 2 years later.  Recently I renewed my interest in Alan Lightman when I found another book that has just been published.  Check my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment