Friday 6 February 2015

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

"A wonderful, moving, endearing story that will sing in your heart for a very, very long time".
That was the blurb on the cover.  And I was prepared to love this book.
  A book about a little girl growing up in a book store on a New England island with a cantankerous, widowed father.  Doesn't it sound wonderful?
  Recently published, it has received great reviews from other people and has been translated into many languages.
  Each chapter starts with a book review that the father writes to his daughter- books that he would like her to read some day.
  I was certain that I would love it, because of the book store atmosphere.  But I found the little girl unbelievable.  As a preschooler, she was thinking about the book "Caps for Sale" and deciding that the monkeys must represent something else, because monkeys wouldn't want hats.
  Oh, by the way, the little girl was left in Fikry's book store by the mother who then drowned herself.  Fikry's wife had recently died and Fikry was bereft.
  I also found it predictable.  There was a publishing house representative that visited the remote island and it was obvious that Fikry would fall in love with her.

  A little girl sitting on the floor, paging through the books.  What's not to love?
I wish that I had loved it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment