Friday 28 March 2014

Woefield Poultry Collective


What can I say about this book?
A fascinating premise.  Prudence Burns, an energetic, twenty-something New Yorker, inherits a farm that has much debt.  With her Polyanna attitude, she takes on the task of getting the farm out of debt. The most interesting aspect of the story is the cast of characters that appear and become part of the story.
Earl-80-something, banjo-playing foreman
Seth- alcoholic, boy-next-door who has been traumatized by scandal
Sara- highly organized 11-year-old, looking for a home for herself and her chickens.


A very interesting group of misfits who find acceptance and success in an unusual way. 
Highly entertaining and humorous.


Unusual characters, fun plot, good setting- but the language!  O, the language!
There are short chapters.  Each chapter is narrated by one of the main characters.  I realize that some of these characters may have 'salty' language, but the extent of it spoiled the story for me- too crude and gross.  I found it vulgar!
A note from the author: "I was trying to pay cockeyed homage to some of my favourite novels, particularly Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm."

 

Well, I have read Cold Comfort Farm and really enjoyed it, which proves that the crude language was not necessary to the story.



This novel was written in 1932.
A T.V. movie was made in 1995.




I just returned from the book club discussion of "The Woefield Poultry Collective".  All ten of us enjoyed the book and only  half of the group felt that the language was a problem.  I have taken on the task of writing to the author to express my views on the language.

1 comment:

  1. I too enjoyed this book. I describe it as a light, easy to read entertaining story with interesting characters. I found Seth and Sara the best drawn; Prudence the least. I didn't find the language offensive but I agree not all necessary.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete