Friday 14 March 2014

psychological thrillers

  Well....I just read another psychological thriller.  Two thrillers in a very short time.  Both by accident- didn't know that either one was a thriller when I started it.
  I have already written about "The Little House", which was recommended to me when I was talking about doing a blog on in-laws from hell.
  Well, last week I looked for relief from the long winter by wandering a book store.  Who could resist this cover?  I jumped into it right away!  Couldn't resist and couldn't put it down.
  But I can't say that I wasn't warned.  On the cover, the recommendation says, "Exceptional...It left my nerves jangling for hours after I finished the last page."  Of course, I didn't read that before I was hooked.  Then it was too late.

"Christine, who turns out to be 47, wakes as the novel opens in an unfamiliar bedroom next to a man she for a moment thinks is an aging one-night stand. Instead the man is Ben, who says he’s her husband, that he’s always loved her, that she was in a serious car accident 20 years earlier and suffers from a rare form of amnesia: Although she can retain memories throughout the day, they are wiped out entirely overnight. Since memory is the largest part of identity, Christine truly does not know who she is. Losing one’s memory, it seems, differs little from losing one’s mind."

This novel is written by an audiologist in England.  Published in 2011, it has been a bestseller in many countries and has been translated into over 30 languages.  It is called an "out-of-nowhere literary sensation".  And now there is a movie, starring Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth and Mark Strong.


This cover would have been a dead giveawa
      

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea this was being made into a movie. I really enjoyed this book although I wasn't crazy about the ending. But the concept was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fascinating book based on your description as well as Shelfari's. Definitly on my to Honey Read list!

    ReplyDelete