Wednesday 6 February 2019

"The Maltese Falcon" by Dashiell Hammett

  classic book club choice

   I expect that everyone has heard of this novel, because of all the film adaptations - four in all.
  The protagonist in this novel is Sam Spade and here is Humphrey Bogart playing Sam's role in 1941 with the Maltese Falcon.
   Sam Spade was a private detective in San Francisco, and he was an interesting character- very cool and collected at all times, in spite of the fact that nobody told him the truth and he had to figure out everything by himself.  His partner is the first of several killed, but that didn't bother him any more than the rest of the deaths.
   I am not a mystery fan but I was drawn in by the writing.  One problem that bothered some people is the amount of detail put into the writing- clothing, movement, facial expression, every aspect in great detail.
  One of my book clubs reads a classic every other month.  I have been a member of this group for 20 years, so I have read 120 classic novels.  This may be one of the better ones.
   Here is the author, Dashiell Hammett".  He wrote many, many novels but I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Spade is the best known detective from his novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment