Friday 22 February 2019

Canada Reads, book 2

    What a cover!  A fuzzy picture of a woman - doing what?
  Perhaps this is significant of the fact that the character "Suzanne" was not well-known.  She was elusive.
  She left her daughter when she was three, then 27 years later, she arrived at her granddaughter's birth.
   Ten years later, the granddaughter is watching from a window. 
Quote: 'On the other side (of the street), a woman falters, her long coat no longer enough to protect her.  Some things children can guess, and even though I don't know you, I sense you in this waltz of hesitation.  You cross the street in long strides, your toes barely landing.  A water spider.  You dart, you head toward us, leaving no trace of yourself on the ground.  You slide a small book into the mailbox before slipping off, yet again.  But right before you disappear, you look at me.  I promise myself I will catch up with you one day."

  The author, Anais Barbeau-Lavalette, searched out information about her grandmother and wrote this fictionalized biography.
  Suzanne Barbeau, the grandmother, had left her family and connected with artists in the Automatist Movement in Quebec.
  Anais' writing, in some ways, reflected the non-conformist ways of her grandmother.  But Anais has had more success in her artistic efforts and in her life also, hopefully.  She is a Canadian writer, film director, and screenwriter.  
  Her grandmother's life was extremely sad and chaotic.  I found it hard to read.  The method of storytelling further confused the story for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment