Saturday 26 January 2019

Reading in 2019


Twelve Books of Christmas
   In February of 2016, I posted "The Twelve Books of Christmas", gifted to fellow reader, Chaz, by her husband.  You can read about it here.
  I was reminded of this wonderful Christmas tradition recently, and asked Chaz to send me the titles of the books that she received for Christmas 2018. I love to know what other readers enjoy.
  Chaz enjoys award winners and her husband takes great care in selecting them.  He includes information on each book.

*******************************************************************************************

1. The Pulitzer Prize, "Less" by Andrew Sean Greer
2. Governor General's Literary Award, Fiction, "The Red Word" by Sarah Henstra
3. Scotiabank Giller Prize, "Washington Black" by Esi Edugyan
4. The Man Booker Prize, "Milkman" by Anna Burns
5. Governor General's Literary Award, non-fiction "Mamaskatch: A Cree Coming of Age" by Darrel J. McLeod
6. RBC Taylor Prize, "Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death and Hard Truths in a Northern City" by Tanya Talaga
7. National Book Award, "The Friend" by Sigrid Nunez
8. Canada Reads, "Forgiveness" by Mark Sakamoto
9. Canadian Organization for Development through Education (CODE) Burt Award for Indigenous young adult literature, "The Marrow Thieves" by Cherie Dimaline
10. National Book Critics Circle Award, "Improvement" by Joan Silber
11. Women's Prize for Fiction. "Home Fire" by Kamila Shamsie
12. The Man Booker International Prize, "Flights" by Olga Tokarczuk

****************************************************************************************

   Chaz told me that the write-up is included in the gift- wrapped box with the books.
   And here is her wonderful reaction:
"I had a visceral reaction when I opened the box and looked at each of the covers.  I felt my heart rate increase as I took out each book and read the title.  So much excitement and anticipation.  I wanted to run away with my pile of books and start reading."
   Chaz has a Facebook page where her friends enjoy reading her musings on each book as she reads it.  Unfortunately, I do not have Facebook, but would enjoy hearing her thoughts on these books.
  I have only read two of this list: "The Marrow Thieves" and "Forgiveness".  I have no doubt that Chaz will love them both!  Happy reading to Chaz!  Thanks for sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment