Tuesday 1 January 2019

End of the year 2018

 
   We always enjoy looking over the last year and I like to think of the books that I have read during the last year.  Unfortunately, I had some challenges with my vision, so haven't read as many books this year (only 52).
   After cataract surgery, I had fabulous vision and could read very easily without glasses - great for bed or any occasion!  However, one of the new lenses from the surgery clouded over and the attempt to clear it by laser was not successful.  So, glasses were needed and I tried for the first time to use reading glasses.  That really doesn't work for me.  I like to look up from the book when someone comes into the room, or...often I just gaze out the window, pondering what I am reading.  And so, the glasses are on and off, because the glasses only work with close objects and the rest of the room is blurry.  Do I use the bifocals...or the reading glasses and keep my eyes on the page?  I'm working that out with one of my new Christmas books.
    Actually, I got two copies of this book and that is not a problem because I know several people who are waiting to get this book from the library but the waiting list is over 100 now and the book has not arrived there yet.  I took a picture with my reading glasses on the book as I'm trying to get used to them.
  Reading this book, I realize why I admire Michelle so much.  She is a compassionate, authentic human being and I shouldn't be surprised that she writes so well because she gave excellent speeches.  She writes beautifully and the strength of her character is very evident.
   The book is divided into three parts:
Becoming Me
Becoming Us
Becoming More
   The final paragraph of the book is stunning.  Here are some excerpts:
I'm just an ordinary person who found herself on an extraordinary journey.....For every door that's been opened to me, I've tried to open my door to others. And here is what I have to say finally: Let's invite one another in. Maybe then we can begin to fear less, to make fewer wrong assumptions, to let go of the biases and stereotypes that unnecessarily divide us.  Maybe we can embrace the ways we are the same...This, for me, is how we become.
   A great book for the new year.  I have heard predictions that Michelle will run for president of the U.S.A. but she says in the book that she has no inclination to be back in politics.  
  I am hoping that she begins a talk show.  She has a lot to say and I would love to be able to listen to her on a regular basis.

Oh, yes, and here I am in my new 'book socks' (Book Nerd).

No comments:

Post a Comment