Friday 31 August 2018

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

   The protagonist in this mystery novel is a brilliant, morbid 11-year-old named Flavia. She is fascinated with chemistry- especially poisons.  It is 1950 in England.
Quote:
Whenever I was upset, I made for my sanctum sanctorum.  Here, among the bottles and beakers, I would allow myself to be enveloped by what I thought of as the Spirit of Chemistry.  Here, sometimes, I would reenact, step by step, the discoveries of the great chemists.

  The novel begins with Flavia tied, gagged and locked in a dark closet.  Did I mention that Flavia lives with her father and two sisters?  The sisters are very cruel and that is why Flavia is in this situation.  They put her there.
  As the story progressed, Flavia found a dead man in the front garden and immediately began her sleuthing to follow the clues in this mystery.  She is successful in her search but ends up again - bound, gagged and locked in a basement, this time by the murderer.
  There are many references to chemistry and stamp collecting.  A mystery lover with those interests will love this book.  I did not.  I do not have a mind for mystery, but this book is very popular and is the first in a proposed series of ten.
  Many people find the protagonist in this series very interesting.  She certainly is not your usual 11- year-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment