Monday 7 May 2018

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

   Eleanor Oliphant is the narrator in this quirky novel.  The author was exploring the idea of 'loneliness' in a young woman.  And Eleanor was definitely lonely. 
Quote:
  "I do exist, don't I? It often feels as if I'm not here, that I'm a figment of my own imagination.  There are days when I feel so lightly connected to the earth that the threads that tether me to the planet are gossamer thin, spun sugar.  A strong gust of wind could dislodge me completely, and I'd lift off and blow away, like one of those seeds in a dandelion clock."
   This is definitely a character-driven book and I do enjoy interesting characters.  I also love to see character development.  Well, you really get inside Eleanor's skin as her backstory is revealed- bit by bit.  And it is heart-breaking. The end of the book details her therapy, ending in quite a shock.

  Eleanor, at 29, living on her own, is very regimented and alone in the world.  Her insistence on speaking clearly is really entertaining- great vocabulary!
  I learned about this book from another blog: "A Librarian's Thoughts on books".   You can read about it here.

  We both really loved "Eleanor Oliphant".
  The author, Gail Honeyman, lives in Glasgow, Scotland.  This is her first novel.  Excellent writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment