Thursday 19 March 2020

Similar books

  I was waiting to post the final results of Canada Reads 2020, but it has been cancelled because of the coronavirus.
  So I am staying indoors to be safe and looking at books to read while isolated.  I am trying to finish "Late Nights on Air" by Elizabeth Hay, since it would have been our next book club choice.  However, it is slow-going.  It is very much about the city of Yellowknife and backstories on all the people involved in the radio station there.  Not much action to keep me interested.
  But I did find something of interest to booklovers on the internet.  A new book came out October  of 2019 that is very similar to a book that was published in May of 2019.  To some people who have read both, the similarities are suspicious.  However, I cannot believe that plagiarism is involved. Both authors are well-established.
  
  The first book was "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek" by Kim Michele Richardson.  You can read my blog entry about that book here.  I really loved this book about a woman who delivered library books in the mountains of Kentucky.
   It is fiction and was published in May of 2019.



The other book is "Giver of Stars" by Jojo Moyes and it was published in October of 2019 with the same subject - library pack horses.
  I have not read it yet because there is a waiting list at the library and the library is now closed.
  I am thinking of buying it on my ipad. 

    I do believe that there is room for more than one novel based on this factual, interesting program.  It is called the Pack Horse Library Project of Kentucky that operated from 1935 - 1943 and involved 30 librarians, serving 100,000 people in the Appalachian Mountains.
   Let me know if you've read both of them and how you feel about the similarities.


No comments:

Post a Comment