Thursday 12 March 2020

Canada Reads 2010

  

    I have been talking about 'Canada Reads' for over a month because I belong to a book group whose main focus is Canada Reads.  It is a wonderful way to spend February and we have had very interesting discussions.
  On Monday, March 16, the debates will begin in Toronto and will be broadcast on radio, T.V., Facebook, podcasts, YouTube.  There will be four days of discussion, eliminating one book each day.
   I have blogged about each book and perhaps it is very clear how I feel about each book. 

  "From the Ashes" is definitely a book that I would recommend to friends.  Will it bring Canada into focus?  That is the theme: "One book to bring Canada into focus".
   Well, it certainly makes you think about the struggles of some indigenous people, suffering from generational pain. And it is a powerful story of overcoming homelessness and addiction.
  I have said that it is heart-wrenching and heart-warming.  That makes it my choice for the winner of Canada Reads 2020.

   
My second choice would be "Radicalized" because it brings up some excellent topics in the four short stories.  The last story is about building an underground shelter for doomsday events.  Well, we are not that desperate now, but it would not be a bad idea to have a stocked shelter where you could escape the coronavirus by staying away from the rest of the world for a few weeks.  But who would you take with you?
  The other stories are about police violence, the health care system and computerization of everything.
  Science fiction is an interesting way to look at serious situations and I would consider this as a winner for Canada Reads if it had more Canadian content.

  "We Have Always Been Here" is my third choice.  It is a memoir- a search for identity.  Interesting enough.

  "Son of a Trickster" was horrible to read and "Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club" was 'more horrible'!

   These are just my thoughts and our book group had a wonderful time discussing each book in detail.  

No comments:

Post a Comment