Saturday 3 January 2015

"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak



My granddaughter Erika is reading "The Book Thief" and thinks it is the best book that she has read because the writing is so excellent.  Set in Germany during the Second World War, this story is about a girl whose family decides to hide a Jewish man in their basement.
One problem that Erika saw with the book is how the author tells what is going to happen. That spoils the story for her.  But she still loves the book.
Death is the narrator and here is a quote:
"Of course, I'm being rude.  I'm spoiling the ending, not only of the entire book, but of this particular piece of it.  I have given you two events in advance, because I don't have much interest in building mystery.  Mystery bores me.  It chores me.  I know what happens and so do you."
Erika loves the characters and the relationships in the book.  She has been reading this book during her family's skiing holiday.  Now she is heading back to school at Oakland University in Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment