Friday 9 January 2015

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

I just finished reading "1984" by George Orwell and it was a challenge- at times rather fascinating but at times deadly boring.
One of the book clubs that I attend, chooses 6 classics a year, as well as 6 contemporary novels.  I have belonged for 16 years, so I have read 96 classics with this group.
I have to admit that many of the classics are challenging and there are other books that I would prefer to read.  However, it is a great discipline and I appreciate this wide sweep of literature.

Imagine my surprise when I checked on another blog that I enjoy, called "Giraffe Dreams".
The focus of that blog entry is Hans Litten- the man who stood up to Hitler.
Carol posted a poem called "Thoughts Are Free".
Check it out here.
Now I am ashamed to complain about reading a difficult book that should have reminded me of the importance of our freedom- to act, to think, to be! 
Carol says, "Hitler can burn books and imprison intellectuals, but thoughts are free.  Never stop reading".


                                                           Unfortunately, in Orwell's book, thoughts were not free.  It is a dystopian novel where Big Brother was watching and the 'thought police' were everywhere.

Thanks, Carol, for your blog entry that reminds us to be grateful for our freedom.  




No comments:

Post a Comment