Monday 14 April 2014

Why I love to Read, part 9


Why I Love to Read- Monday special.
Reason number 9: Reading develops bonds within the family.

229123  When John had his first eye surgery, about 40 years ago, I read aloud to him.  We still remember "Christy"- a novel about a young well-to-do young girl from South Carolina who goes to the Appalachians in Tennessee in 1912 to teach impoverished children.  The way these people lived was fascinating for both of us.  The novel was based on the experience of the author's mother.


A Lesson Before Dying novel.jpg                               We also enjoy reading while on road trips.  We remember reading "A Lesson Before Dying" by Ernest Gaines.  It really was a fascinating story of a young black man in Louisiana in the 1940's.  He was about to go to the electric chair for murder.  His grandmother wanted her grandson to die like a man, so she begged the school teacher to teach Jefferson some self-esteem and pride in his identity as a black man.  It was about 'dying with dignity'.
As we were finishing our trip, we were driving in the rain while I was trying to get the book finished.

Over the years, we have read many books in the car, on the road or in the park. We remember "Hawaii" by James Michener and "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck, both being great 'park' books.


I also have 'reading' connections with the grandchildren.  I remember reading "Anne of Green Gables" with Kaitlyn on the riverbank in the park.  When David was very little he was fascinated with "Journey to the Centre of the Earth".


We often talk about books and they tell me what they are reading.  Sometimes I am able to get a copy and read the book so that we can discuss it.  "The Hunger Games" was discussed often. 
Hunter, at 15, convinced me to read "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier".  Grim! 
The grandchildren in Michigan read the books for the Troyberry Awards.  I often read some of those titles.
I am always delighted when the children are required to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "Lord of the Flies" for school. 
We chatted about books on their recent sleepover. 







1 comment:

  1. You are very fortunate. I envy you and John having similar interests in books. My husband enjoys reading but few of his selections interest me and vice versa. Neither of my boys are readers.The only family member that shares my interests is my sister. Just this winter we have started discussing some books - fun to share!
    Gayle
    P.S. What a beautiful picture of you and your grandchildren!!

    ReplyDelete