Monday 24 February 2014

Why I Love To Read, part 2

Why I Love to Read- Monday special
Reason Number Two:

   I love to read because I love to explore and sometimes an author allows you to explore without leaving home.
   A journey book has always fascinated me and I just finished reading "Wild", where I had the chance to travel along with Cheryl Strayed as she hiked the Pacific Crest Trail from Mojave, California to the Bridge of the Gods in Oregon.
   Her writing is extremely eloquent as she describes not only the physical journey, but also the emotional journey.  She was 22, her mother had died and her marriage had dissolved. She was very confused and conflicted.
"Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.  Alone wasn't a room anymore, but the whole wide world, and now I was alone in that world, occupying it in a way I never had before."
   So beautifully written!  Even Oprah thinks so.  She chose this book for her first reading club 2.0 selection.


                                 

                                          Another author that I like to travel with is Bill Bryson.
I enjoyed "A Walk in the Woods" which is about hiking the Appalachian Trail.
   It is less an emotional journey but very humorous.

   "In a Sunburned Country" was even more enjoyable for me because I have been to Australia.
    He had interesting facts about many of the places that I have visited and I greatly enjoyed travelling along with Bill throughout Australia.


     I love to read because I love to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment