Monday 3 February 2014

Books that change your life

Canada Reads is following the theme of "Books that can change the nation".
Check here for the books that are being considered.
Can books really change the nation?  The change would have to come one person at a time.  So what can really change a person?
   This morning I read this on A.Word.A.Day:

   It is nearly impossible to say how much Harry Potter has changed my life and made me the person I am today. The Harry Potter series was my childhood and its life lessons helped me grow. Whenever I have been in a bad mood, Harry Potter has been there for me. When I didn't have friends at school, I didn't feel so bad because I knew Harry, Ron, Hermione, and everyone else was just a turn of a page away.  In these books, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore stands out for me. He says many wise words that have stayed with me. One time he says to Harry, "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." Dumbledore is telling Harry not to dwell on the past, and to live out his life to the best of his ability even though his parents aren't with him anymore. It made me feel as if he was saying, if you want something you have to go and get it, rather than sit around and dream, waiting for something to happen. Also, don't sit around worrying about the past and things that you can't change.

I loved this comment because childhood is the greatest time to read a book that will help to give you confidence and support. "Harry Potter" was condemned by many people.  Some parents didn't want their children reading it because of the dark themes.  Rowling states that the main theme is death.  But there are other themes that children pick up on.  And perhaps with the theme of death, children can learn how to live.

But how is Canada Reads going to convince us that the books they have chosen can 'change the nation'?

No comments:

Post a Comment