Thursday 15 November 2018

"Starlight" by Richard Wagamese

   Richard Wagamese was an excellent storyteller and author.  You can read about his death here.  I was so sad about his death last year, and quite shocked when I saw this book in the library recently.  What a cover!
   I began reading and was immediately carried away with the story.  An abused woman and her young daughter are taken in by a farmer, who teaches both of them the ways of the indigenous people.
  This novel is advertised as "A profoundly moving novel about the redemptive power of love, mercy, and compassion- and the land's ability to heal us".
   There are two storylines. The farmer, his hired help, and the young mother and her daughter form an amazing bond as the farmer builds up the woman's sense of self-confidence and trust.  The second storyline concerns the abusive husband, who is furious about being left and is tracking her down.
  Both storylines have been building and there is about to be a collision of the two.  Oh, no!  There is no more story!  
   The author died at this point and I was shocked!  At first I could not believe that the story was published without a warning on the cover.  But, would I have read it otherwise?  
  This would definitely have been the best book I have ever read if it had been completed.  The sentences are stunning.  I wanted to read it out loud and savour every word.
  My feelings of disappointment have turned to gratitude.  I am grateful to have had the opportunity to read Richard Wagamese's last words.  They are amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment