Saturday, 15 July 2017
James Michener, continued
Some interesting biographical information about this author:
- didn't know his biological parents or place of birth
- raised by Mabel Michener- a Quaker woman in Pennsylsvania
- became a high school English teacher, then a university professor
- conscripted in W.W. II- naval officer, travelling in the South Pacific Ocean
- ran as a Democratic candidate for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives
- Secretary for the 1967-68 Pennsylvania Constitutional Convention
- member of the Electoral College
- wrote about his political experience: "Presidential Lottery: The Reckless Gamble in Our Electoral System". He preferred the direct popular vote, which would have saved the Americans from the situation that they are in now.
James Michener is known for his lengthy books and meticulous research. His books have been made into stage plays as well as movies.
He won the Pulitzer Prize in 1948 for "Tales of the South Pacific".
He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977.
A fascinating man. I am searching for a copy of his biography "The World is My Home".