Sunday 20 March 2016

Canada Reads- book three

"Birdie" by Tracey Lindberg

I was looking forward to this book about a Cree woman.  I was hoping to 'get into her head', but I found that that was a confusing place.  This novel follows Birdie's descent into madness.
"She woke up in a room.  And could not move.
She woke up.  In a room.  And was tied to herself.
She woke up.  In a room.  And was herself tied.
She woke up.  In a room.  And found.  She was not changed.
She woke up.
In a room.
And learned.
She was crazy."

Each chapter starts with Cree vocabulary and a traditional Cree story about an owl winds through the novel.  The story is mostly flashbacks and at times, I got lost.
There was some beautiful writing, but I struggled to understand what was actually happening.  Perhaps I needed to stand back and just try to get the general feel of the book.  The language and traditions made me feel that I was an outsider.  
I would expect that it would be a spectacular read for Cree women, but the general public?
**************************************************************************************************************************
Who is supporting "Birdie"?



  Bruce began the travel company 'G Adventures'.  He has also written the book "Looptail: How One Company Changed the World by Reinventing", which is the story of his travel company.
We know how excited I am about reinvention.  He changed the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment