Monday 17 February 2020

"Son of a Trickster"

 Canada Reads 2020
   This is the third book that I have read for Canada Reads this year, and I question the choices that Canada Reads has made for 2020.  There are two Indigenous books.  One is fiction, the other is memoir.  There is an overlap in these books. Do we need them both?
  
   "Son of a Trickster" is a coming-of-age story about Jared, who is the son of Wee'git, the trickster from Haisla lore.  

Quote: "Son of a Trickster" is filled with darkness and squalor and obscenity.  (Heather O'Neill, author)

My reactions: "Son of  a Trickster" is a novel of alcohol, drugs, explicit sex and foul language.
  I am not the person to review this novel because it made me sick and sad.  I raced through it as fast as I could in order to return to the normal world.

   You can read many very positive reviews of this book on the internet.  Some people found humour in the novel.  I did not. None of my book club friends found any value in this novel. But on Amazon, the book got a five-star rating from 60 % of those writing a review.
  I disliked the representation of aboriginal teens as being constantly stoned.  There is not one positive character in the novel. I need 'hope' in a novel or it is not worth spending my time.  There may be a glimmer at the end of this novel, but not enough to justify 316 pages of nauseous behaviour.  I did not appreciate this novel as a book that would 'bring Canada into focus' and I would not recommend it to anyone.
  Thankfully, there are many aboriginal authors that I enjoy reading, but there doesn't seem to be a reason to have two indigenous books in the five books for Canada Reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment