Monday 10 September 2018

Broken Promise

   I have already written about One Book One Community 2018, with this year's book: "Broken Promise".  
  You can read that blog here.
  I decided to re-read the book in anticipation of our library book club discussion and the author's appearance at the end of the month. 
  Because I am not a mystery-lover, I looked for some information on mystery novels.  And I found this interesting list of requirements for a mystery novel.

Mystery novels have 7 elements:
  1.  A strong hook
  2.  Active reader involvement in piecing together information
  3.  Red herrings
  4.  Suspenseful dialogue
  5.  Effective, descriptive mood and language
  6.  Well-structured chapters
  7.  A satisfying conclusion
    As I read the book this time, I thought of these aspects of a mystery novel, and I concluded that this is a great mystery novel.  There is a hook in the first sentence "before all hell broke loose".  There is much piecing together of information with some red herrings (at least, I think they were red herrings).  There are so many characters and so many sub-plots, that it becomes confusing.  Certainly there is a suspenseful mood and language. The chapters are short and snappy, leaving you thinking. 
   In this small town of Promise Falls, it seems that all residents have horrific things happening in their lives- either now or in the past.  And you DO read about many of those residents.
  I cannot say that this novel had a satisfying conclusion for me.  But what is a satisfying conclusion- when so many people have been murdered.  As it said at the beginning-"all hell broke loose".  what is a satisfying ending for that???
   So, on second reading,  I did realize that this novel has most of the elements it needs to make a great read for mystery lovers.
   But the focus on death- murder actually, does not make a good read for me.
   Let's see what the rest of the book club think.


No comments:

Post a Comment