Friday 21 October 2016

Serendipidy at the library

Serendipity: Serendipity means a "fortunate happenstance" or "pleasant surprise".  It was coined in 1754.

   I have had many interesting experiences while visiting the public library.
   Often I meet people that I haven't seen for years.  It is a great place to reminisce.  Sometimes people recognize me from volunteer work there and stop to speak to me, giving me a chance to get to know them better.
  But I also often speak to complete strangers.  Well, actually, no one in the library is a complete stranger.   We are all connected by our love of books. Once I was carrying the book "The Kitchen House" and a woman stopped me to tell me what a wonderful book that was, and had I read the follow-up, "Glory Over Everything"?  Both great books by Kathleen Grissom.  I call this interchange "serendipity".

   Today's serendipity was a real zinger.  I got into conversation with a man named Allen, who chooses 50 books for himself at a time.  I had a million questions for this man.  Do you read them all?  How long does it take to read each book?  How do you choose your books? etc, etc, etc.
   He certainly is a fascinating man and I asked if I could write about him on my blog.  He said that I surely could as long as I spelled his name Allen (guess many people spell it Allan).  There were no last names exchanged.
   Allen goes to bed at 8:00 and wakes at 3:00 and spends about 15 hours a day reading!  What????  I guess it would be easy to get into a book that early in the morning, but..but...but.  
  I was happy/sad for him.  Imagine reading that many books.  But obviously no time for other interests and friends.  He seemed very social as we got into a conversation about the wonderful author, Rob Sawyer.  He was picking up one of Sawyer's books and I was recommending others.
   Serendipity at the library!


No comments:

Post a Comment